Thursday, April 26, 2012

SOMETIMES, IT'S BEST TO HOLD YOUR BIGGEST DREAMS CLOSE...




Last week, I contacted someone (who shall remain nameless) to assist me in coordinating some logistical details about an idea I had. This woman proceeded to tell me--at almost every turn-- that I would probably not be able to achieve my goal. This is a woman, too, who works in an industry of dreams and who works daily with dreamers like me.

Now, I know it's super-easy to go all cynical when you're dealing with Hollywood: the most talented folks don't often get the brass ring. Situations everything thought was a "sure bet" often turn out to be the worst investments in the history of mankind. I get it. Believe me, I do!  

In that moment-- when I was saying to myself "I think I can," and this woman was telling me "you can't," I thought about all the times in my life that I wanted to do something--crazy, bold, out of the ordinary-- and the folks who told me the odds were stacked against me. Like when I decided I wanted to be an actress; or write/direct/star in and produce a movie, or complete a book! With each of these ideas, there were people along the way who told me it could not be done and made elaborate lists detailing why. I now have a standard response when I am encountered by naysayers; I simply smile and nod. That's it. I don't try to argue with them, debate them or even offer my point of view. I simply smile and nod, then I walk away, fired up even more about my dreams and making detailed lists of how I WILL achieve them. 

Some folks discourage others because they think they're "protecting you" from disappointment, hurt or pain. Others are downright indignant because, well, who the hell are you to think you can dream that big? Still others can't wrap their brains around your idea because they haven't been able to realize their own dreams. NONE of these things have anything to do with you, so keep on doing what your doing: creating. dreaming. executing.

Sometimes, it's best to hold your biggest dreams close. Let it be your delicious little secret as you quietly take the actions necessary toward making it a reality.

Keep Rising,

Tanya
www.butterflyrisingthemovie.com

2 comments: