Tuesday, August 2, 2011

LOVE


There are millions of poems, books, songs and movies dedicated to this Thing called Love. It is oft said LOVE is "a many splendor'd thing;" love "makes the world go 'round" and, finally, "all you need is love."

I've been thinking a lot about LOVE lately, and I've got a question: are the quotes above really true, or are they romanticized versions of the love I know which is often a lot more complex but, some times, no less wonderful?

A lot of us women have grown to believe and buy into Cinderella fantasies of some handsome man coming in, sweeping us off our feet and taking care of us. I don't know about ya'll, but that ain't happened yet around these parts, LOL! After waiting for a long, long, long, long time (did I say I was waiting a long time??) I've recently decided to chuck the "Knight-in-Shining-Armor" shenanigan and get to the brass tacks of what love really is.

I have lots of things in my life that I love! I love my dog, Macarena, to absolute pieces. I love my work; I enjoy creating things and helping others mine opportunities, this is a real passion of mine. I love where I live (I LOVE NY!), I love my life and, finally and most importantly, I love myself. My grandmother's love was perhaps the most important love I have ever received in my entire life. It was limitless, boundless and without condition. Sort of, well, like the love of God--or whatever your idea (if you have one!) of God is.

Before we go loving on a man and giving all our love away, I think we woman forget to leave a little sumpin' sumpin' for ourselves. I know I've been guilty of this. But the older I get, the less this concept of giving it ALL away appeals to me. Now, I have a reserve of love for myself that is shared by no earthly being-- and I'm much, much happier this way.

And should My Knight finally come, I'll know how to love him because I know how to love myself.

XO Tanya XO

TANYA WRIGHT plays the role of DEPUTY KENYA JONES on HBO'S TRUE BLOOD. She is the writer/director of the upcoming indie feature BUTTERFLY RISING and author of the book of the same name.



No comments:

Post a Comment